St. Brendan Parish is located in Bothell, Washington, 12 miles northeast of Seattle, at the north end of Lake Washington. In a little over a century, Bothell evolved from an isolated logging village housing a handful of pioneers to a multi-faceted, full-service city with a resident population of 33,000 and a business population of 20,000. St. Brendan was established as a parish in 1949 with 117 registered households and Father John Mattie as the first pastor. As of the end of 2010, the parish had 2000 registered households.
St. Brendan Parish School opened in 1966 with 139 students in Grades One through Four. The Sisters of Saint Francis staffed the school from the beginning. Thereafter, a grade was added each year and the first Eighth Grade class graduated in 1971. The first Kindergarten class began in 1991. The school celebrated its 35th Anniversary in 2001, capped off by a $3.5 million building remodel and expansion, which made the school earthquake sound. The addition included new space for the library, science lab, computer lab and music/art room, which are used as additional meeting space for Faith Formation and other parish ministries. An elevator was installed, making the school handicap accessible for the first time.
The school playground was enhanced with a new play structure in the summer of 2005, thanks to the continued fundraising from our PTO. Beginning in the fall of 2008, the parish conducted a capital campaign to fund a parish rectory, parish building maintenance, and the school parking lot and field improvements. Work on the parking lot and field is scheduled to begin in 2011.