Fifth grade is an exciting transition year at St. Brendan.
Students are on the upper grade schedule for the first time, they finally get to be out in the 5th grade club house for class, and they also get to go on an exciting week long environmental education field trip to Camp Seymour. 5th grade is the perfect time to practice the much needed time management & organizational skills they will need in middle school. They will be stretched & challenged throughout this year, but they will also have fun & be ready to enter back into the main school building ready for the rigor of middle school.
Meet Mrs. Beth Compton
Hello there! I am so blessed to be part of this Saint Brendan Family! I know this year will be full of fun, meaningful learning, and growth! I look forward to supporting and guiding your 5th grader(s) throughout this year.
A little bit about me, I have lived in the greater Seattle area my entire life. In 2005, I graduated with a B.A. from Western Washington University. In 2009, I received a M.A. in Teaching from City University. I kept busy by subbing in various school districts and private schools before being hired to teach 5th grade at St. B’s.
I have been married for 11 years to my husband, Matt. Together we have seven “fur-babies” (five cats, one chinchilla, and one dog) that definitely keep us very busy! I am sure your kiddos will be coming home with stories about these guys…they provide hours of entertainment!
Matt and I are parishioners at Saint Teresa of Calcutta Parish in Woodinville. In the past, Matt and I have enjoyed working with the youth in the youth group at our parish. This has been a very life-giving activity for the both of us as we continue to grow in our faith and lead others closer to Christ. Last year we decided to take a step down from having an active role in the youth group, but you will still find us helping out with events from time to time. We now lead our parish’s RCIC program (Rite of Christian Initiation Children).
10 Things About Mrs. Compton:
10. I love to travel! I have been to Europe twice, Mexico once, The Caribbean, Canada a few times, and cross country with my mom once during the summer of 2015. I also lead the 7th & 8th graders from the school on a trip to Philadelphia/WA DC every other year.
9. I love to scrapbook. Moments that pictures capture mean a lot to me, so I love being able to preserve these precious memories in a fun and creative way. I try to make it on at least one scrap-booking retreat a year.
8. My favorite Young Adult Book series are: Sisters Grimm, Fablehaven, and The Land of Stories
7. My husband and I love having family and friends over for dinner and board games or Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U or Switch.
6. In May 2015, my husband and I bought our first house in Monroe.
5. Because we bought a house, I was able to finally have a dog! We adopted her from Homeward Pets in Woodinville. Her name is Bianca and she is a 10 year old Malamute Mix – sweetest dog ever!
4. My favorite Cities in the world (so far) are: Assisi, Italy; Deadwood, SD; New Orleans, LA; San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Philadelphia, PA
3. Favorite snacks/treats: gummy bears, white chocolate Reese’s PB Cups, popcorn, pretzels, carrots with hummus, and iced 1% hazelnut lattes!
2. I am a total Disney nut! (in case you couldn’t tell by the classroom decor) I have been to Disneyland seven times & Disney World twice. Sometimes I feel “homesick” for Disney and you will find me watching videos online of some of my favorite attractions!
1. I am passionate about my students. I feel as if our class is truly a mini-family and I hope that everyone inside our classroom will feel the same way. I promise to support each and every single one of them to the best of my ability.
1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
I very much look forward to this school year and getting to know each and every one of your families.
Remember that on Tuesday, September 18th, there will be a mandatory EE Week parent meeting. Please do not bring your children, only one parent needs to attend. 6pm in the 5th grade portable.
Tuesday is class photo day, please make sure you are ready to smile pretty! 🙂
We will also have our first MAP test, math on Tuesday. Make sure you sleep well the night before and eat a good breakfast.
Thanks and God Bless!
This week’s H.W.: Sept. 17-21 H.W.
Mrs. Compton’s classroom Amazon Wish List:
If you or someone you know would like to adopt our classroom, please follow the following link: https://adoptaclassroom.force.com/donors/s/designation/a1mC0000001XwcEIAS
|Archdiocese Technology Curriculum||Required Religion prayers|
|Washington State Technology Standards||Required Religion vocabulary|
|Religion vocabulary definitions|
|St. Brendan School Supply List 2018-19_all grades|
5th Grade Schedule: 2016-2017-schedule-current
Math Connect-Ed for our online math program: https://connected.mcgraw-hill.com/connected/login.do
Students will need to use their log-ins in order to access the chapter resources and homework pages.
Scholastic Book Orders: Every time you order a book for your student I will earn points towards more books! I use these points in a variety of ways. Some will be spent to purchase books I don’t already have in my library that kids have asked me to get for them, some will go towards purchasing items for classroom auctions, and more importantly, I am in the process of building up my literature circle book collection. More points = the ability to get more interesting books that the students will enjoy and that will fit into themes and topics we are covering in other subjects!
To order you can go Here. The first time you sign up it will ask you to input the classroom code at the end. Ours is: N9HV3
Thanks for your support!
EE WEEK Permission Slip If your child needs to take medication – including Over the Counter like lotions, cough drops, cough syrup, Children’s Tylenol, etc- you need to have a doctor’s note to accompany. There is no formal permission form for this, just simply have your doctor fax us a sheet with the following information: Child’s name What medication they are taking Dosage they take and when Their signature
5th Grade School Supply List 2015
ESPERANZA RISING AUDIO
You can read Scholastic News online! Click Here to download the iPad app or to log on. I will send home the password later this week!
5th Grade behavior-policy